Palindromes – words and sentences that read the same backwards – have been popular since ancient times. The Germans have even come up with a palindromic word –Eibohphobie –that means a fear of palindromes.
- Seç i numëronin orë mu Niçes.
They were counting Nietzsche's hours.
- Na u rrit Emi, qimet i rruan.
Emi has grown, shaves hair.
- Ey Babək, kəbab ye!
Hey Babekh, eat kebab!
- Mace jede jecam
The kitten is eating barley
- Udovica baci vodu
The widow tossed the water
- Anja sebe sanja
Anja dreams of herself
- Idu ljudi
The people go
- Бял хляб (Bjal hljab)
- Ana voli Milovana
Ana loves Milovan
- Maja sa Nedom ode na sajam
Maja went with Neda to the fair
- Jelenovi pivo nelej
Do not pour beer to a deer
- Kuna nese nanuk
A marten is carrying an ice cream
- Selmas lakserøde garagedøre skal samles
Selma’s salmon red garage doors must be assembled
- Grav ned den varg
Dig down that wolf
Thermometer (for measuring fevers)
- Able was I ere I saw Elba
- Never odd or even
- Was it a cat I saw?
- Do geese see God?
- A man, a plan, a canal, Panama
- Go hang a salami, I’m a lasagna hog
- Murder for a jar of red rum
- Rats live on no evil star
- Rise to vote, sir
- Madam, I'm Adam
- Neil, an alien?
- Dennis sinned.
The hatch of the tunnel of the bullet's flight path (trajectory)
- Aias sadas saia
It was raining bread in the garden
- Neulo taas niin saat oluen
Knit again, so that you will get a beer
A soapstone seller
A soap cup trader
The result from a measurement laboratory for tomatoes
- Innostunut sonni
- Et la marine va, papa, venir à Malte
And the Navy, Dad, will come to Malta
- Esope reste ici et se repose
Aesop remains here and rests
- Tu l'as trop écrasé César ce Port Salut!
You mashed it too much, Cesar this Port Salut (a kind of french cheese)
- Eh ca va la vache!
Eh, how are you, the cow!
- Elu par cette crapule
Elected by this villain
That means a fear of palindromes
- Trug Tim eine so helle Hose nie mit Gurt?
Di Tim never wear such light (in color) pants without a belt?
- Sei fein, nie fies
Be fine, never be nasty
- Erika feuert nur untreue Fakire
Erika only fires unfaithful fakirs
- O Genie, der Herr ehre dein Ego!
O genius, the Lord shall honour your ego!
- Nipson anomemata me monan opsin
Wash off my sins, not only my face (written on the edge of a well or a font in Constantinople, where ps is ψ)
- Géza, kék az ég
Géza, the sky is blue
- O mordo tua nuora o aro un autodromo
Either I bite your daughter-in-law or I plough a racetrack
- I topi non avevano nipoti
mice had no grandchildren
- A Nóinín, níl an rí anocht ar Ráth Conair, ná linn in Iona
Daisy, the king is neither on Conair's fort tonight, nor with us in Iona
- In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni
We enter the circle after dark and are consumed by fire
- Roma tibi subito motibus ibit amor
in Rome love will come to you suddenly
- Sedek užu kedes
Sit behind the chair
- Ada, panna pocalowana, wola: co pan napada
Ada, a kissed girl, exclaims: why are you attacking me, sir
- Moze jutro ta dama da tortu jezom
Maybe tomorrow that lady will give a cake to the hedgehogs
- Kobyla ma maly bok
The mare has a small side
- Elf ukladal kufle
An elf arranged mugs
- Ikar łapał raki
Icarus caught crayfishes
- Socorram-me, subi no ônibus em Marrocos
Help me I took a bus in Morocco
- A base do teto desaba
The base of the ceiling collapses
- O lobo ama o bolo
The wolf loves the cake
- Ele fac cafele
They (the girls) make coffee
- Ene purta patru pene
Ene was wearing four feathers
- А роза упала на лапу Азора. (A roza upala na lapu Azora )
A rose fell on Azor's paw
- Ana voli Milovana
Ana is in love with Milovan
- Sir ima miris
Cheese has a smell
- Matej je tam
Matej is there
- V elipsi spi lev
In an ellipse there sleeps a lion
- Perica reže raci rep
A washerwoman is cutting a duck's tail
- Dábale arroz a la zorra el abad
The abbot gave rice to the female fox
- Ligar es ser ágil
Flirting is agile
- Ana lleva avellana
Ana takes a nut
- Luz azul
- Sobornos son robos
Bribes are robberies
- Ni talar bra latin
You talk good latin
- Agnes i senga
Agnes in bed
The nature square
The concept and original examples featured on this page have been provided by Adam Jacot de Boinod
You have a funny palindrome to add? Please let us know!